there ain't no pleasing your diseases
dear participants,
10 days until I need your rough mixes. that's wednesday, september 7th.
(cue screech of strings)
I will also need you to send me a mini-bio/liner notes about your recording for the little cd booklet that could. it should go like this:
band name - track name
personnel
where it was recorded
notes about the band/recording.
here are a few samples from the track notes for guitarded:
7. Carol Ann & The Fantastic Stand - "Tuesday Night"
Carol Ann: bass, lead vocals
The Fantastic Stand: samples, guitars, keyboards, backing vocals
Recorded at Crescentbeat Studio in Astoria.
Although El Jezel had jammed out "Tuesday Night" once or twice in the past, unforeseeable circumstances prevented Dan Jezel from taking part in this very special project. Regardless, Jess and George soldiered on with the help of a sampler and some super funky beats (bonus fun fact: the same beat is used on the Beastie Boys' "Car Thief" from Paul's Boutique). Jess Jezel found that singing in Tina's higher octave could lead to a fatal injury so she wisely chose to sing it lower. George's direction was to "think Jennifer Charles," one take later she was done. To spice things up Jess added a sexy spoken word part over the instrumental break. As she recorded this George got all hot and bothered and was rushed to the infirmary. Fortunately, he was released the next day and returned home to begin the onslaught of overdubs. Some EJ experts claim the vocoder part on the outro is in fact Dan Jezel's secret cameo, but no one is really sure.
9. The Marks - "Crawl"
Phil: Guitar, Vocals
Tina: DrumsMary: Bass
Recorded by Jeremy "Man with a 4-track" Joseph at room 31, Flood studio.
Mixed and fixed by Travis "Gravitas" Harrison at Serious Business.
The first attempt at "Crawl" took place at the Phina Estate during a Man in Gray practice and featured Phil on acoustic guitar and Mary on low-volume bass. It sounded very vaguely flamenco, but not for long. Phil's suggestion was "think dance punk." Tina countered with "think dance, punk." Not to be outdone, Mary chimed in: "think, dance punk!" We are very proud of the stop/start toward the end and also our rehearsal-room impersonations of members of Man in Gray. Daniella says Phil's guitar solo "sounds kind of Turkish,"* and to that we say, if it's Turkish, baby, it's Turkish delight.
11. The Plus Ones - "Catholic Schoolgirls Rock"
Jenny Piston: lead vocal, snaps and claps
D-hella and Steph: gorgeous harmonies, oohs and yeahs, gratuitous comments, snaps and claps
Mary: bass, backing vocals, snaps and claps
Phil: guitar and vocals
Featuring a special appearance by Alex on drums
Recorded by Jeremy "My name is Frank, I'll be your engineer" Joseph at room 31, Flood studios on 2/19/05.
Mixing and additional recording on 2/20/05 by Travis "This makes me feel funny" Harrison at Serious Business.
A masterpiece of coordination and deception, this recording of "Catholic Schoolgirls Rock" was crafted in Daniella and Jeremy's living room during Wednesday night MiG rehearsals, and the whole thing took shape during several stealth trips to Flood. Mary and Daniella were attacked by rats on 9th Street, Steph had to chug an entire bottle of Robitussin in order to sing through her sickness, and Phil recorded his part in one take while incredibly hungover from the SB party. We trekked back to Serious Business on Sunday the 20th for final touches, and that was where Jenny Piston conceived of the brilliant spoken intro a la "Leader of the Pack." Our goal was girl-group-meets-Spector-with-lots-of-handclaps, plus a li'l Catholic lesbian subtext, so you decide if we succeeded.
--------
while I realize that not all of you (well, only one really) happen to have a mary p-s handy for well written descriptions, feel free to keep it as simple &/or as ornate as you like.
news:
1. I received a cd from king soma with 3 versions (slight differences between them) of recurring theme. after listening, I did a sort of mad snoopy dance because I loved-ded-ded it! it takes liberties in just the right tribute way & I know j will have that open-mouthed, knock him over with a feather look of wonder when he hears it. yay!
2. I finally met up with dave s. for some mr. invisible work on friday. I was nervous to the point of EYELID sweat & sudden frog-voiced-ness but thanks to dave's gentle patience (probably learned from all that child-teaching) I managed to do more than go "ribbit". next we'll add marta on cello & I'll try to figure out what we can call ourselves 'cause unfortunately, nalgas is off the list. why? cuz my mom would kill me.
3. marta of eh...urine love told me that this past weekend's preliminary vocal recording on their shimmering & tender(!) version of aimless went extremely well.
4. when I asked chris a. (who is also engineering the aimless recording) how his spy alarms version of you can die was going, he smiled that blinding cheshire cat smile of his & went, I kid you not, "muhahaha". I don't think he rubbed his hands like a mad scientist but I'm pretty sure he did on the inside. I can't wait to hear this!
5. I heard a rough version of the mayan empire feat. hula cougar! version of self destruct & there's definitely a countdown clock till the bomb goes off feel to it. there will also be kazoo duels to add to the mayhem. excellence!
6. I heard the first part of faint praise's version of guilty & it makes me want to eat kittens. & everyone knows how much I adore kittens! it sounds like phina kinapped ira & georgia from ylt & stole their souls. normally, I wouldn't recommend such dire action but this is for a good cause so it's okay by me!
7. my heartfelt apologies to carol ann & the fantastic stand. I've been accidentally calling them carol ann & the last stand for a while now & out of politeness they have not corrected me. I have no excuse! I'm so sorry.
8. someone, mary?, asked me if j would be suspicious that none of the +1's are going out of town for labor day. I laughed & laughed. j doesn't know what holiday means so he's weirded out when people do leave town. as long as I don't bust out with a shrieking "all dead down the highway!" followed by an en-vogue-ish "WOAH WOAH WOAAAAAH", he'll be none the wiser.
on more serious notes (b flat?), alex will be unable to play drums for the +1's due to his unimportant work saving LIVES & whatnot. travis has kindly relented to take his place. I don't know what we'll do with all that crushing beat power behind us 'cept try to also bring it, gangsta style!
anywho, right now the +1's are trying to arrange a saturday rehearsal for this weekend, so that we can rehearse apathy at least ONCE before we record. if any of you can donate a couple of hours to us in your space, we can repay you with delicious baked goods (steph), pirate theory (phil), thorough research (mary), sunshine (jenny) &/or unbridled dementia (me). please get back to me if you can help us out...
9. alex has agreed to host j's birthday party/cd release on saturday, sep 17th (j's birthday is the 18th but I find saturday is best for knocking 'em back & dancing) at his home in lovely carroll gardens, brooklyn. his abode is easily accessible by F train & it's a couple o' train stops closer to manhattan than park slope so hopefully, this will be good news for all & sundry! mark your calendars & keep in mind that I might "dj" so be prepared for some poppin' & lockin'!
love, d
10 days until I need your rough mixes. that's wednesday, september 7th.
(cue screech of strings)
I will also need you to send me a mini-bio/liner notes about your recording for the little cd booklet that could. it should go like this:
band name - track name
personnel
where it was recorded
notes about the band/recording.
here are a few samples from the track notes for guitarded:
7. Carol Ann & The Fantastic Stand - "Tuesday Night"
Carol Ann: bass, lead vocals
The Fantastic Stand: samples, guitars, keyboards, backing vocals
Recorded at Crescentbeat Studio in Astoria.
Although El Jezel had jammed out "Tuesday Night" once or twice in the past, unforeseeable circumstances prevented Dan Jezel from taking part in this very special project. Regardless, Jess and George soldiered on with the help of a sampler and some super funky beats (bonus fun fact: the same beat is used on the Beastie Boys' "Car Thief" from Paul's Boutique). Jess Jezel found that singing in Tina's higher octave could lead to a fatal injury so she wisely chose to sing it lower. George's direction was to "think Jennifer Charles," one take later she was done. To spice things up Jess added a sexy spoken word part over the instrumental break. As she recorded this George got all hot and bothered and was rushed to the infirmary. Fortunately, he was released the next day and returned home to begin the onslaught of overdubs. Some EJ experts claim the vocoder part on the outro is in fact Dan Jezel's secret cameo, but no one is really sure.
9. The Marks - "Crawl"
Phil: Guitar, Vocals
Tina: DrumsMary: Bass
Recorded by Jeremy "Man with a 4-track" Joseph at room 31, Flood studio.
Mixed and fixed by Travis "Gravitas" Harrison at Serious Business.
The first attempt at "Crawl" took place at the Phina Estate during a Man in Gray practice and featured Phil on acoustic guitar and Mary on low-volume bass. It sounded very vaguely flamenco, but not for long. Phil's suggestion was "think dance punk." Tina countered with "think dance, punk." Not to be outdone, Mary chimed in: "think, dance punk!" We are very proud of the stop/start toward the end and also our rehearsal-room impersonations of members of Man in Gray. Daniella says Phil's guitar solo "sounds kind of Turkish,"* and to that we say, if it's Turkish, baby, it's Turkish delight.
11. The Plus Ones - "Catholic Schoolgirls Rock"
Jenny Piston: lead vocal, snaps and claps
D-hella and Steph: gorgeous harmonies, oohs and yeahs, gratuitous comments, snaps and claps
Mary: bass, backing vocals, snaps and claps
Phil: guitar and vocals
Featuring a special appearance by Alex on drums
Recorded by Jeremy "My name is Frank, I'll be your engineer" Joseph at room 31, Flood studios on 2/19/05.
Mixing and additional recording on 2/20/05 by Travis "This makes me feel funny" Harrison at Serious Business.
A masterpiece of coordination and deception, this recording of "Catholic Schoolgirls Rock" was crafted in Daniella and Jeremy's living room during Wednesday night MiG rehearsals, and the whole thing took shape during several stealth trips to Flood. Mary and Daniella were attacked by rats on 9th Street, Steph had to chug an entire bottle of Robitussin in order to sing through her sickness, and Phil recorded his part in one take while incredibly hungover from the SB party. We trekked back to Serious Business on Sunday the 20th for final touches, and that was where Jenny Piston conceived of the brilliant spoken intro a la "Leader of the Pack." Our goal was girl-group-meets-Spector-with-lots-of-handclaps, plus a li'l Catholic lesbian subtext, so you decide if we succeeded.
--------
while I realize that not all of you (well, only one really) happen to have a mary p-s handy for well written descriptions, feel free to keep it as simple &/or as ornate as you like.
news:
1. I received a cd from king soma with 3 versions (slight differences between them) of recurring theme. after listening, I did a sort of mad snoopy dance because I loved-ded-ded it! it takes liberties in just the right tribute way & I know j will have that open-mouthed, knock him over with a feather look of wonder when he hears it. yay!
2. I finally met up with dave s. for some mr. invisible work on friday. I was nervous to the point of EYELID sweat & sudden frog-voiced-ness but thanks to dave's gentle patience (probably learned from all that child-teaching) I managed to do more than go "ribbit". next we'll add marta on cello & I'll try to figure out what we can call ourselves 'cause unfortunately, nalgas is off the list. why? cuz my mom would kill me.
3. marta of eh...urine love told me that this past weekend's preliminary vocal recording on their shimmering & tender(!) version of aimless went extremely well.
4. when I asked chris a. (who is also engineering the aimless recording) how his spy alarms version of you can die was going, he smiled that blinding cheshire cat smile of his & went, I kid you not, "muhahaha". I don't think he rubbed his hands like a mad scientist but I'm pretty sure he did on the inside. I can't wait to hear this!
5. I heard a rough version of the mayan empire feat. hula cougar! version of self destruct & there's definitely a countdown clock till the bomb goes off feel to it. there will also be kazoo duels to add to the mayhem. excellence!
6. I heard the first part of faint praise's version of guilty & it makes me want to eat kittens. & everyone knows how much I adore kittens! it sounds like phina kinapped ira & georgia from ylt & stole their souls. normally, I wouldn't recommend such dire action but this is for a good cause so it's okay by me!
7. my heartfelt apologies to carol ann & the fantastic stand. I've been accidentally calling them carol ann & the last stand for a while now & out of politeness they have not corrected me. I have no excuse! I'm so sorry.
8. someone, mary?, asked me if j would be suspicious that none of the +1's are going out of town for labor day. I laughed & laughed. j doesn't know what holiday means so he's weirded out when people do leave town. as long as I don't bust out with a shrieking "all dead down the highway!" followed by an en-vogue-ish "WOAH WOAH WOAAAAAH", he'll be none the wiser.
on more serious notes (b flat?), alex will be unable to play drums for the +1's due to his unimportant work saving LIVES & whatnot. travis has kindly relented to take his place. I don't know what we'll do with all that crushing beat power behind us 'cept try to also bring it, gangsta style!
anywho, right now the +1's are trying to arrange a saturday rehearsal for this weekend, so that we can rehearse apathy at least ONCE before we record. if any of you can donate a couple of hours to us in your space, we can repay you with delicious baked goods (steph), pirate theory (phil), thorough research (mary), sunshine (jenny) &/or unbridled dementia (me). please get back to me if you can help us out...
9. alex has agreed to host j's birthday party/cd release on saturday, sep 17th (j's birthday is the 18th but I find saturday is best for knocking 'em back & dancing) at his home in lovely carroll gardens, brooklyn. his abode is easily accessible by F train & it's a couple o' train stops closer to manhattan than park slope so hopefully, this will be good news for all & sundry! mark your calendars & keep in mind that I might "dj" so be prepared for some poppin' & lockin'!
love, d

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home